Egyptian Stock Exchange recorded EGP 79.8bn turnover in first quarter of 2015

The total value of stocks traded in the first quarter (Q1) of 2015 registered EGP 79.8bn, compared to EGP 64.9 billion the previous quarter (Q4 of 2014), according to quarterly report issued by the Egyptian Stock Exchange. Also the report, stated that the stocks trading accounted for 68.54% of the total value traded of the main market, while the remaining 31.46% were captured by bonds over the quarter.

In the report, the total volume traded was recorded at 8.39 billion securities, compared to 12.9 billion the previous quarter. It further stipulated that the volume of stocks traded in January was 2.88bn with a total value of EGP 21.7 billion. Whereas, in February, the volume of traded stocks declined to 2.72 billion, however the value to stocks traded rose to EGP 33.87 billion. During March, the volume of stocks traded recorded 2.78 billion, with a total value of EGP 24.19 billion.

Furthermore, the top active traded sectors by traded were telecommunications, financial services sectors, real estate and travel and leisure. On the other hand, construction materials, real estate, financial services, telecommunications and banks were the highest traded value sectors.

In addition, the report highlighted that the Egyptians controlled 83.96% of the value traded during the quarter. Non-Arab foreign investors accounted for 12.08%, while Arab investors captured 3.96%, after excluding deals. Similarly, non-Arab foreign investors were net sellers, with a net equity of EGP 496.12m, and Arab investors were net buyers, with a net equity of EGP 57.21m, after excluding deals.

The report also said that institutions accounted for 64.08% of the value of stocks traded while the remaining were individuals. The institutions were net sellers during the first quarter, with a net equity of 343.61 million, after excluding deals.

The main companies in terms of volume traded, Orascom Telecom Media And Technology Holding, Amer Group Holding, Citadel Capital and Global Telecom Holding were among the top 10 active companies in the first quarter of 2015.

Leave a Comment